Sunday, September 21, 2008

I'm Back.. and I'm Sticking Around

Lately, I've been feeling the urge to dust off the computer and return to the wonderful world of blogging. I must admit I've enjoyed my break from blogger and the outside world, but two weeks of writing English papers on topics that are a waste of ink have reminded me how wonderful freedom of speech truly is.

After a hectic summer of logrolling and home buying, we are finally moved into "The Farm." The house is old, creepy, and haunted by Larry the poltergeist who is obviously thrilled to have someone in his home that he can drive nuts by breaking their belongings. As we learn more about the history of "the farm," we have a better understanding of the property in general. We know the house was built in 1900 and that at one point there was a dairy farmer who lived here with his family. The original barn burnt to the ground and this allowed the farmer to build three new pole barns with cement floors. These barns are still standing, but they need a lot of work. When the dairy farmers passed away there son Larry took over the property. Larry was a Vietnam vet who came home with his share of mental health issues. He sought comfort at the local clinic and, from what I understand, drank himself to sleep every night. Recently he too passed away, but in his stay at "the farm" he never once cleaned anything or maintained any of the property. The house was eventually repossessed and purchased by one of our neighbors. When they bought the property every square inch of the house and the barns was filled with garbage. The floors were literally covered in junk and it took the whole family weeks to throw everything out. It is for this reason that I have decided Larry is still hanging around the house, waiting for his moment to break our belongings so that the property can once again be a junk collectors dream.
Even though we are moved into "the farm"there is a long way to go before we are settled in. Renovations are slow, boxes remain packed, and cable tv is now only seen at night when I close my eyes to sleep. On the bright side, we were able to get DSL so at least I can rot my brain away online! Brutus is probably the only member of the family that feels completely at home. He's not 36 pounds and growing everyday. Just three weeks ago I had to stop what I was doing to listen to the strange noise coming from the bathroom. Unable to place the sound I walked into the bathroom to find Brutus drinking from the toilet, proud as can be that he could finally reach the fountain of youth. I ran out declaring that Brutus really did grow over night since yesterday he could NOT drink from the toilet and today he most definitely could. J.R. responded by giving the dog a treat and proud "That a boy." He may not be the bravest dog but he does have an amazing personality and has glued himself to J.R. Once in a while I do get to spend time with the dog, however I've learned to stay off the floor as Brutus believes that you are a bed.

Aside from the house, school is in full swing once again. And although there are many, many school related items to discuss they each deserve separate, well thought out entries and must therefore wait for another day.

As for now, my bed is calling and the new version of TV is eagerly awaiting it's opportunity to play. Hopefully tonight's episode is better than the last.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Welcome back, slacker! I demand more pictures!! :-D
Missed you. Love, me.

PS the word their making me enter for verification is "qhump" Ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Hey, welcome back! Oh my goodness Brutus is one handsome dog! And nice to see your big smile as well. Sounds like you've got lots of work ahead with the property. All the best on the upcoming projects and with classes as well.

Cathy B

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see pics of "The Farm".

Val en ABQ

joyce said...

I'm so glad you are back !

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again! Welcome Back!!!

The Mrs. said...

Right now we are renting an old farmhouse a couple decades older then yours. Restored beautifully it still has its share of odd ball charm shall we say.

Enjoy getting settled and making your house a home and making Larry comfortable.

liberal army wife said...

so glad to hear from you again. I was getting a little worried.

LAW