Wednesday, July 25, 2007


We are back in D.C. and what a trip it has been. Our flight left at 6:10 this morning from Minneapolis/St. Paul. We spent the night in a hotel so we didn't have to leave our apartment at three am to catch a plane. Even with staying in the cities it was still an early wake up call. The alarm went off at 3:45. I felt as if I had just laid my head on the pillow and closed my eyes. I managed to roll my eyes and within seconds of standing up I felt the urge to throw up all over the floor. I didn't. I took a shower, threw some clothes on, and then sat on the floor with a bucket while J.R. frantically ran around throwing our possessions back into the suitcases. He finally convinced me to drink a bit of water and for a moment I felt a bit better.

We went downstairs and loaded up the van. Fifteen minutes of hell in a car later we were at the airport. I no more then stepped out of the van and I was running for the garbage can. Now try to imagine throwing while people are staring at you and then having your husband telling you to hurry up because we are going to miss the plane. Not his brightest moment. He wasn't exactly thrilled when I yelled at him to open my suitcase and dig out my toothbrush. Apparently he thought I should just swish some water around in my mouth and chew a piece of gum. After making it quite clear that I was not taking one more step until a toothbrush appeared out of the suitcase and into my hand, he went into action and produced a toothbrush from the very bottom of the luggage. I brushed my teeth right on the sidewalk over the garbage can. I felt like a moron but whatever. At least I felt better.. for the moment.

The whole way into the airport I had to listen to J.R. grumble about the big long line we were going to have to stand in all because I took so long to throw up. How loving of him. But it wasn't long before we had made it through security and I was waiting to get on the plane. Again I started to feel queezy. We boarded our flight and were fortunate enough to be placed in an exit row. At least I could sit comfortably with the added leg room. I immediately found all of the puke bags in my row and shoved them in the pocket in front of me. I had to inspect them all and find my preferred bag. I managed to not throw up on the flight and fell asleep and took a nice two hour nap. I woke up with drool all over my face. Just how I want everyone on the plane to see me. At least nobody had to watch me throw up in a bag. Who wants to sit next to that person on the plane?

So I've made it home, remade the bed, and have curled up with the computer. I'm way behind on everything. There is a TON to write about including seeing J.R.'s unit, watching him logroll for the first time, and a debate about my job. But all of that takes a lot of thought and right now I just want to focus on eating a piece of toast and not having to run to the bathroom two minutes later. Now I just have to figure out if I picked up a touch of the flu or if it's food poisoning from dinner last night. At least J.R. is getting a little better about taking care of me. He carried all the bags up to the room, offered to get me water, and even helped tuck me under the covers. About time.


Anonymous said...


If you are feeling ill, try to limit your food intake to rice, apple juice, toast, and tea. There was something else that you could eat, but I forget what it was. The acronym was BRATT.

Hope you feel better.

Soldiers Angels,NYC

Heidi H. said...

Take care of yourself, sorry to hear that you are ill. I had a 24 hour bug a few weeks ago and it was awful - thought I wanted to curl up in a ball and die. I cannot wait to hear about your time at home. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Feel better soon.


FbL said...

Glad to know J.R. is trainable. He young, so you've still got time. ;)

Hope you feel better soon, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about the things you mentioned.

Tracy said...

I think the "B" in BRATT is Bananas.

I hope you feel better soon Josie!!

Kris, in New England said...

Oh man what a horrible trip back to DC; hope this finds you back on your feet and feeling better.

"...watching him logroll for the first time..."

THAT had to be so awesome for you both. Congrats!

joyce said...

B is for bananas, R is for rice, A is for apples, T is for toast.

Maybe you are pregnant ! Try crackers before you get up outa bed. Take care of your self ! Are you taking vitamins? Get plenty of rest.

Anonymous said...

You gals are right, banana, rice, applesauce or juice, toast. By the time you read all of these, hope you are A-OK.
As a nurse, my first thought was the same as Joyce.
Glad JR was able to be of some help. Might be a small boost for him to se what he can do if he must.
Take care of yourself.
Cathy B

Butterfly Wife said...

I hate to say it but my first thought was the same as Joyce and Cathy. That said, may you have children if and when you are ready.

Take care of yourself. Rest, blog, and keep the husband in line. ;-)

Kat said...

(((hugs))) Take your time... whenever you feel better, we'll be here! Can't wait to read about JRs first logroll! And seeing the guys come home...heck, all of it, LOL! :) Good stuff. :) Hang in there - take care of yourself first though and get lots of rest. (((hugs)))

Danielle said...

Thanks for the comment the other day! Just got around to seeing it now. Hope you're feeling better by the time you read this!

My first thought was that you could be pregnant too...however, I've got that on my mind lately since the hubby and I are trying.

liberal army wife said...

activated charcoal tablets. IF you are pregnant, they are the best for morning sickness. if you aren't then it helps any nasty bugs get lost.