Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Biking

Yesterday, J.R. took me into the cities and bought me a new bike. Bike shopping is not easy when you are a girl with a thirty-four inch inseam and a torso that's much shorter. It took forever to find a bike that was the proper height and didn't have me leaning to far forward. After about an hour we found a bike that is a decent fit. I've been wanting to get into road biking for a while now so once we got home we both got ready and went for a ride. Here's what I've learned:

1. Bugs taste horrible. Yes, absolutely horrible. I know this because I've now eaten two. Two!!! It's just simply not worth the "added protein."

2. Your butt is going to hurt. And when I say hurt, I mean pain every time you sit down.

3. My husband has legs twice the size of mine. He can pedal faster, harder, and with much less effort.

We went and rode again tonight. It took a good five minutes before I could bring myself to sit completely down on my bike seat. My butt hurts that much. We messed around with the seat last night and it was in a much better position tonight so it was much more comfortable. Still, it's not the Cadillac of bikes. It's designed for function.

Classes at Stout start tomorrow. I'm excited to be a student again but nervous at the same time. I'm not sure where a couple of my classes are and I'm horrible with maps. It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Josie:

After going through what you and JR have gone through, don't worry about navigating a map. You'll be fine. Also, a heating pad might help with your back side.

RPL
Soldiers Angels, NYC

Anonymous said...

Ouch, maybe a sheepskin cover for the seat??
Have a great week being a new student!
Cathy B

Kat said...

OK, how was the first day of class??? :)

Wendy said...

Two words..

Gel seat.

Anonymous said...

Maybe try padded bicycle shorts

for example
http://www.altrec.com/store/bicycle-shorts.html

these look a bit expensive, but they give you the idea

Rebecca in GA