Thursday, November 1, 2007

Procrastination

Today was suppose to be my day off. One whole complete day off with no class and no work. I was pretty geeked about this as it is a rare occasion for me to stumble upon a day with nothing but free time. I slept until ten am, rolled out of bed and made my way to the couch, and there I sat. How wonderful to be there with just me, the tv, and the remote control. As noon rolled around I was starting to think about driving into town and settling down in a crowded cafe to observe human behavior. Just as I started to think about removing myself from the couch my cell phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey Josie, I was wondering if you could work from 5-9 tonight for me. My dog is super sick and I need to get her to the vet."

Say no. Just say no. It's your day off. You can't say no. You have nothing actually on the agenda for today. If your dog was sick you would want someone to work for you. NO. NO. NO.

"Yeah not a problem. I'll work 5-9."

And with these words I peeled myself from the couch and took a shower. Now the sociology paper I had been putting off all week would really be crammed into my few hours of time.

I made my way to acoustic cafe. I positioned myself in the corner and tried to observe people in a natural setting. Yeah, this sucked. Normally I love people watching but when one has to write a paper about human behavior in public.. well it kind of takes the fun out of it. And so I sat for an hour. As I wrapped up my notes and made my way to the car I promised myself that I would go home and begin to write my two page rough draft that is due tomorrow.

Yeah, we all know that didn't happen. I blame J.R. Him and his stupid remote control care completely distracted me from starting my paper. This car is noisy, time consuming, and guzzles fuel. But it also goes 55 mph and is highly entertaining to drive around the field in the back of the apartment. I only crashed it four times!

I left for work with not even the opening sentence completed on my rough draft. So now here I sit, computer open, book open, notes all around me, and I'm writing in my blog. I have very little motivation to write this paper. Stupid class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When out people watching the best one for the wife and I is sunday morning at the local pub where they serve breakfast. We make a game describing other couples recent activities. Who is hungover, who had a "special" morning which couples have been fighting etc..

Good humor with a fresh bloody and a greasy meal.

Dave