Monday, August 6, 2007

Very Sick

Oh what a day. I finally managed to wake myself up around nine am. I couldn't believe how exhausted I was. I could have slept all day today and would have been content. I got myself up and left for the hospital to get my ID card made. Luckily the person in charge of ID cards was feeling better and was able to be at work today. It took a whole five minutes and I had my new ID.

After I got that taken care of I called central appointments and somehow managed to get a one pm slot with Dr. Baxy. She took one look at my throat and went "ew." It's even more swollen than last night and there was a little bit of pus in the back. She kept asking me if I was in pain and I kept telling her no. She didn't believe me. Evidently I'm weird, but it just doesn't hurt. I was thinking that it was going to be strep. It took me by surprise when she told me she thought it was either a VERY nasty case of strep or it's mono. I've had mono. I'm not anxious to do that again. She did a culture, blood test, and gave me Zithromax. Hopefully it's strep and it will clear up in a day or two. I was also told to avoid the common areas of the house, try to use bottled water instead of community cups, and in general to try to avoid community dishes. It's amazing how fast news spreads around the house that someone is sick. Nobody really wants to be around me, which I completely understand. It just makes it really boring to be forced to sit in the room and talk to nobody face to face.

I just finished eating dinner in my room. Odd to eat a whole meal up here since we normally aren't allowed to have food in our rooms. Kind of nice not to eat with the whole house around. The rest of the night is going to be spent finding little things to do in the room. Boring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got your card and some medical care. Rest up and get better.
Cathy B

Anonymous said...

Oh, Josie, I'm sorry to hear you are so sick!! Boy do I remember your sore throats in high school--and when you had your tonsils out! I also remember how well you handled the whole thing and the amazing solo you performed only 3 weeks later! Hope you feel better soon! Cindy D.